Note to screen reader users: Some links lead to third-party web pages that are not optimized for accessibility.
The NDA's First International Conference featured speeches by leading medical experts; vocational, motivational, and technological presentations; genetic counseling and testing; and specialized workshops for individuals with Norrie Disease, their parents, and their siblings. Participants from all over the world (Switzerland, Israel, England, Canada) and from many US states (Texas, Washington, North Carolina, and Florida) also enjoyed a formal conference dinner and social activities in the Boston metro area. The NDA is very proud of its first major accomplishment and is grateful for the continued support from its membership. We hope that through the multimedia below, you can either relive or experience for the first time some of the most enlightening moments of the 2009 conference. The NDA would like to thank its host, Massachusetts General Hospital, as well as all of the volunteers who helped us run such a successful conference.
Speeches and Workshops
FRIDAY (August 14)
- Conference Welcome & Introductions Katherine Sims
- Historical Overview of Norrie Disease and the NDA Professor Katherine Sims, Neurogenetics, MGH
- Keynote: Neuroplasticity in Sensory Loss (with question/answer period) Professor Lotfi Merabet, BIDMC
- Current Norrie Disease Research (with question/answer period) Professor Wolfgang Berger, Medical Genetics, University of Zurich
- Audiology in Norrie Disease (with question/answer period) Professor Chris Halpin, MEEI
- Forward-looking Research (with question/answer period) Professor James Gusella, Center for Human Genetics Research, MGH, Harvard
- Norrie Disease Panel A discussion with adults with Norrie Disease: Bruce Maguire, Mike Kosior, John Miller
SATURDAY (August 15)
- Motivational Workshop Valerie Sandler, Author
- Guide Dogs Workshop Kathy Rooney, Guiding Eyes for the Blind
- Presentation by Humanware Representative